Veggie Barley Soup
Great on a cold day, serves 8 as is below and takes ~ two hours to fully prepare. Thanks to Tabitha for the idea about the sausage!
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen BOCA Meatless Smoked Sausage (optional)
- Pour the vegetable broth into a large pot.
- Add the barley, carrots, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, garbanzo beans, onion, (sausage if you want), and bay leaves.
- Season with garlic powder, sugar, salt, pepper, parsley, curry powder, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 90 minutes.
- The soup will be very thick. You may adjust by adding more broth or less barley if desired. Remove bay leaves before serving.