This is a little more complicated, but well worth it. Six months after I made it at the station, people are still talking about it. Serves 4ish and goes great with Spicy Rice.
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar 1 additional teaspoon
- 12 ounces flank steak , cut into 2-inch wide strips with grain, then sliced across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup orange/tangerine juice plus 1 teaspoon grated zest from 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- healthy pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 10 ounces snow peas, ends trimmed and strings removed (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Add beef, toss well, and marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining tablespoon sugar, orange juice, sesame oil, and cornstarch in medium bowl.
- Combine tangerine zest, garlic, ginger, black bean sauce, pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in small bowl.
- Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer, breaking up clumps. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer beef to clean bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in skillet and repeat with remaining beef. Rinse skillet and dry with paper towels.
- Add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to now-empty skillet and heat until just smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add snow peas and continue to cook until spotty brown, about 2 minutes longer. Add water and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 1 minute.
- Push vegetables to sides of skillet; add zest-garlic mixture to clearing and cook, mashing with spatula, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Combine zest-garlic mixture with vegetables. Return beef and any juices to skillet and stir to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Serve.