Fancy Green Beans
These are darn good green beans. A little complicated to make, but well worth it. Goes great with a dark meat and potatoes.
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs green beans
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- In a large skillet, under medium heat, heat butter and 2 Tbs oil.
- Add onion, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized.
- Add vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add rest of the oil, 1/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Puree half of the mixture in a blender, then pour it back into the skillet.
- Meanwhile, cook green beans with the rest of the salt in boiling water until tender, ~ 4 minutes.
- Cool the beans in ice water and then drain and pat dry.
- Transfer the beans to a serving bowl and mix in the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle zest on top and serve.